Registration in a Community Music School program indicates your understanding and acceptance of our guidelines. In addition to the guidelines, please click through the subjects below to read about Girl Choir-specific policies and required materials.
The 2020-21 Girl Choir handbook will be mailed to registered families and linked to the website. Please refer to the Girl Choir handbook for a comprehensive list of guidelines.
Lawrence Community Music School youth ensembles utilize Google Classrooms to communicate with students and their families. Registered families will receive an email with an invite link and instructions on how to join and use their choir’s Google Classroom. Families who do not have a Google account can create a free account using an existing email. With parent/guardian permission, the invite link also may be used by the student if they wish to join the Classroom with their own Google account. (Please note that some school accounts block access to Classrooms outside their organization for the students’ safety.)
Girl Choir staff will post resources, announcements, and other important information in the Classroom. Families are responsible for checking their primary email and Google Classroom for up-to-date choir information. Older singers are responsible for checking their Classroom for weekly homework assignments; your teacher-conductor will communicate their expectations regarding homework at the first rehearsal.
Click here to view general Classroom instructions.
Cell phones, iPods, electronic readers, and other electronic devices are strictly prohibited during ensemble rehearsals and backstage during concerts. If a family emergency takes place during a rehearsal or concert, please contact the ensemble manager.
- Singers will need to purchase a white uniform top.
- Singers new to Cantabile who were not in Arioso must purchase a uniform black skirt or pants.
- Singers who already own a skirt may choose to be fitted for and purchase the uniform pants or continue to wear the skirt they already own.
- The skirt/pants will need to be hemmed to the top of the foot while wearing your performance shoes.
- Singers will need to provide black closed-toed, flat-heeled dress shoes. Singers wearing skirts must wear black pantyhose, and singers wearing pants must wear black socks.
- Singers should not wear jewelry on performance days. This includes necklaces, bracelets, watches, or earrings that extend below the lobe (post-style earrings are acceptable.) Singers who arrive wearing jewelry will be asked to remove it; the Girl Choir program cannot be responsible for lost or misplaced items.
- Hair must be a natural color, or sprayed a natural color, for performance. Singers with longer hair should pull or pin hair back so that it does not obscure their face while on stage. Hair accessories should be small and the color of the hair.
- No uniform return is necessary at the end of the season.
- Cantabile singers must bring a three-ring binder and two sharpened pencils to every rehearsal. They are expected to complete weekly assignments, compiled in the Announcements section of this page.
- Music is the property of the Community Music School. At the end of each semester, there will be a $3 fee assessed per each piece of lost or damaged music.
- Singers new to the program will receive a tote bag that becomes theirs.
- Additional or replacement bags can be purchased through the Community Music School office at the cost of $10 plus tax.